Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Finished Reading 01/01/2014 - Academ's Fury



I read the first Codex Alera book, Furies of Calderon, last September, and liked it well enough to want to continue the story eventually, but wasn't blown away.  But then I kept finding my thoughts drawn back to Calderon, and the characters, with a surprising magnetism.  I didn't want to build up my expectations too high, only to have them let down, so it was with some trepidation that I began this second volume.

It didn't disappoint.

The characters are just as engaging as before, and the world is more fully developed and explored.  The overall plot felt a little bit contrived, but overlooking this overarching point, it was very easy to get lost in the story, as the action compels the pages to keep turning.

Fans of the first book in the Codex Alera will find even more to appreciate here, and I for one am looking forward even more to the third book than I did the second.

Academ's Fury (Codex Alera Book 2) by Jim Butcher.

8.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment