Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Finished Reading 1/14/14 - The Color of Magic (and others)



One of the many blurbs at the end of the book states that Terry Pratchett does for fantasy what Douglas Adams did for science fiction, and I couldn't agree more--except I suspect the author of those words meant them as highest praise, whereas I don't.  I was amused by this book, much like I was with the Hitchhiker's Guide books, and I suspect I'll read the sequel before too much time has passed, but it didn't really do much for me.  As with Adams' books, of which I've read three, I don't yet see why Discworld has spawned such a rabid following.  For me, it amuses but doesn't delight, interests but doesn't engage.

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

6/10



As a bonus, some words about two other books I finished in the past few days.



The titular doll of this book was really creepy, and I enjoyed the fantasy-meets-reality, nerds-on-a-quest plot.  The book didn't wow me, but it was a fun, quick read that leaves a bit of mystery for the imagination to decide.

Doll Bones by Holly Black, illustrated by Eliza Wheeler

6.75/10





This book was charming, and, thinking back, words like "classic" and, perhaps more appropriately, "timeless" come to mind.  It's a short book, more of a novella, really, and it reads quickly--unfortunately so, because the story, characters, and narrative voice are all so lovely. If, like me, you somehow managed to escape childhood having never read this book, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

8.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment